What is a Vegan? Vegans are vegetarians who doesn’t consume animal products and their by products like eggs, honey, silk, wool, soaps and cosmetics derived from animal products. However, their diet must contain the five groups of foods, that includes proteins, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins and minerals and water to avoid nutritional deficiencies.
Proteins are needed for body building and in repair of worn out tissues. Such as lentils, chickpeas, soy milk, peanut butter, almonds, spinach, whole wheat bread and beans. Minerals and Vitamins regulate chemical reactions taking place in the body. Includes leafy green vegetables, Spinach, turnip greens and romaine lettuce. Carbohydrates are the biggest source of energy needed by the body and sources include; Legumes, whole grains, whole wheat bread and brown rice. Fats help the body to synthesize fat-soluble vitamins and within the list of healthy fats include nuts, olives and avocados. Finally, water is really important in promoting digestion, excretion and in the transport of important nutrients within the body.
Just because of the special health needs of vegans, their meals should consist of variety of foods which are easily broken down and digested after consumption. The below mentined 10 foods have high nutritive value and promotes digestion hence are suitable for vegans.
- Avocadoes provides an important source of fats for the Vegan diets. Avocadoes are free from cholesterol and low in saturated fats. Avocadoes are also rich in fiber, vitamin B, K and E. They improve the absorption of carotenoids in other vegetables and also lower the levels of blood cholesterol.
- Almonds are a rich magnesium, iron, vitamin E, calcium, riboflavin and fiber. It maintains the levels of cholesterol in the body.
- Broccoli is a rich source of fiber, potassium, calcium, Vitamin C and beta-carotene. It's daily intake boosts the immune system of the body.
- Blue berries provide a rich source of fiber. It also facilitate the breakdown of fats and lipids.
- Wheat bread is a rich source of fatty acids and essential fatty alcohols. It also have high fiber content, vitamin E, phosphorus, magnesium, thiamin, zinc and folic acid.
- Oat meal is a major source of carbohydrates, protein and soluble fiber content that stabilize digestion and the blood glucose levels.
- Plenty of dark-Leafy green vegetables like spinach and cabbage contains vitamins important in boosting immunity. It also promote iron absorption by the body.
- Apple fruit gives a rich source of antioxidants.They also reduces bad levels of cholesterols and has been found to extend lifespan.
- Sweet potatoes gives a rich source of complex carbohydrates, fiber, vitamin B and beta carotene. It also contain Vitamin C which helps in absorption of iron.
- Lentils give a rich source of proteins required by the body in repair of worn out tissues.
Vegans have poor absorption of animal protein and consumption might lead to complication such as constipation among other worse conditions.So are you a vegan?Do let us know about diets to stay healthy through your comments.